Thursday, January 23, 2014

And the Fun Keeps Coming..


If girls just want to have fun, what are the boys to do? Luckily for them, Cyndi Lauper has welcomed both the girls and the boys to her 30+ year mixer: a blend of music, artistry and activism.

And oh! That iconic song, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!"  Even today when heard on the radio, on TV, in a movie, in ads, it's irresistible and just makes you feel good.  I think that's the aim of any great artist.

Last year while in New York, I went to see Cyndi Lauper's 30th Anniversary Tour, marking the decades since the album, (Yup, I said album ), "She's So Unusual" was released.  Her tour was a personal gift to her fans; taking the stage and delivering the album note for note, in order, side A through side B.  It was perfection and I can say that since I knew that record inside and out! (What?  Did you think I was busy practicing my air guitar with Thin Lizzy?)

I could go on and on about Cyndi and if you want to hear it, you can check her bio page.  I really just wanted to call attention to a new 30 year commemorative offering of the "Unusual" album with some extra treats like demos, new mixes, (from the likes of NERVO and Yolanda Be Cool), and vinyl cut outs of her 80's wardrobe!  Check out a recent interview with Cyndi in the Washington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment